Friday, April 15, 2011

"Why did you choose to be a doctor?"

As early as when I was a freshman in medical school, the above question had been asked to me. It came from various people, lecturers, uncles and aunts, friends. I guess anyone who knew that I was going to graduate as a doctor, the first question that popped into their mind was this particular one. Though heard of countless times, It never failed to cause me to take a few moments before I actually answer the question. I needed to think back and recall why I am still doing this course despite all the hardships.

The latest event was yesterday. The doc at the clinic I was doing attachment with asked me the exact same question. I simply answered, "I guess it has become my passion". That evening, I thought of what I answered. Was that the only reason why? I knew there is more to the answer. I never took time to actually arrange my thoughts, my reasons. In different situations, I answered differently. It even evolves as I go along. This august, I will be 23 years old. I believe I should have an organized, strong, complete answer to the above question. So, today I have decided to write it down one by one.

I know in future; there will be a time that I will feel like quitting. It has been hard, real hard, to make it this far. And I know very well that it will become harder and harder. I wish to write it down so that I can look back at it when I feel like giving up. A wise person once said, "When you feel like giving up, remember what made you hold on this long…". 

No comments:

Post a Comment