The first time I tasted this dish was in Cheng Ho restaurant. Yup, the one owned by Amy Search. It was during one of the family gatherings. It was really to-die-for. It surprised me how the salty, richly textured duck egg yolk went so well with the crabs. I can tell that its delicious without even eating the crabs ( Because sadly, I'm allergic to seafood...) This sauce, can definitely go with any deep fried battered seafood. A must-try for all food fanatics! But be warned, the cholesterol level is quite high...
- Clean the crabs. Remove the pincers and trim the legs. Cut into 4 pieces.
- Steam salted egg yolks for 3-4 minutes. Remove and use a fork to break up the egg yolks.
- Toss crab pieces in tapioca flour. Deep-fry in hot oil till golden in color. Remove and leave aside.
- Melt butter in a wok, sauté curry leaves and bird's eye chilies until aromatic. Add salted egg yolks, keep stirring until egg yolks are incorporated into the butter sauce.
- Add pepper, salt, sugar and evaporated milk then stir in pre-fired crabs. Stir-fry briskly to mix. Dish out and serve immediately.